Sunday 29 March 2009

City and Guilds - Introduction

Well it has taken a while but I have finally managed to find the time to photograph my City and Guilds work from last year so I shall start adding the pictures and descriptions to the blog. It feels strange seeing the pieces after so long. One of the things that amazed me but also cheered me up was how much progress I could see in the quality of my work. Not that I think my work is particularly good but it is much neater than when I started!!!

The first pieces I shall put up are from year one of the City and Guilds Certificate in Patchwork and Quilting and form the basis of a sample library covering five key modules: Line, Colour, Texture, Shape and Form. For each of the modules we had to produce approximately 8 different patchwork or quilting samples together with some related art work. At the end of each module we would be given a design brief from which we had to create a number of pieces of art work and sometimes an evaluation of the module.

I have to say I really enjoyed the first year as I was given the chance to learn and play with a number of different craft techniques. These included fabric dyeing, paper making and felt making. I also learnt a great number of time saving techniques to produce high quality patchwork however this course is not for the faint hearted or the hard up. You are expected to know quilting and patchwork basics and you do need to have a good stock of both fabrics and art materials. Certainly at Craven College I found I was spending £200 per month on these items for about the first 3 to 4 months and then maybe £25 - 30 every month thereafter. This is over and above the £400+ tuition fees. All of that said it is a great deal of fun and you can meet and make some great quilting buddies.


Do look at my other posts if you want to see and comment on my efforts so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment